Bus Pirate 5 Firmware Guide
Bus Pirate 5 is the universal serial interface tool designed by hackers, for hackers. It's crammed full of hardware and firmware features that make probing chips pleasant and easy.
- LCD - A beautiful 240x320 pixel color IPS (all angle viewing) LCD acts as a pin label, while also showing the voltage on each pin and the current consumption of the programmable power supply unit.
- 16 RGB LEDs - It's customary to have an indicator LED, so to check that box we added 16 SK6812 RGB LEDs.
- Just one button - 16 party LEDs but just one button!
This is a general overview of Bus Pirate 5. See the hardware manual for technical details.
- 2.54mm 10 pin connector - A keyed locking connector that works just as well with common jumper wires and 2.54mm 'DuPont' style connectors.
|1||VOUT/VREF||Pin supplies 1-5volts up to 400mA with current limit and resetable fuse (VOUT) OR connects an external voltage source to the Bus Pirate IO interface|
|2-9||IO0 - IO7||Buffered IO pins with voltage measurement and optional 10K pull-up resistors|
- 1mm 9 pin connector - Intended as a tap point for a logic analyzer. No more trying to balance two or three probes on a single pin, just tap the bus activity from this secondary header.
|1-8||IO0 - IO7||Buffered IO pins with voltage measurement and optional 10K pull-up resistors|
TF Flash Card Socket
- TF flash card socket - When plugged into a PC USB port, the TF flash card appears as a readable and writable disk drive.
- TF flash card storage is used to save global and mode configuration preferences in simple JSON files.
USB C connector
- Modern USB C connector. Only RP2040 supported USB modes are available.
- Normally you just hit the
$key in the Bus Pirate terminal to enter bootloader mode for firmware upgrades. You can also use the button on the bottom to activate the bootloader manually.
JTAG debug header
- A three pin debugging port is exposed on the bottom of the board. See the development section for more info on developing for the Bus Pirate.
|1||GND||Ground connection (furthest from the edge of the PCB/case)|
|2||SWDIO||JTAG Data IO|
|3||SWCLK||JTAG Clock (closest to the edge of the PCB/case)|
- VT100 terminal emulation supports color and a live statusbar view of the voltage and functions on each pin.
Join the fun
Get Bus Pirate 5
- Bus Pirate 5 assembled PCB preview release
- Bus Pirate Premium Probe Cable
- Bus Pirate Premium Auxiliary Cables
- Bus Pirate 5 and enclosure (coming soon!)